"How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord Almighty! My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord, my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God." Psalm 84:1-2

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

My Dad's first appointment....

I know it's many months later by the time that I am writing this, but I need to do it for my sake. I want to be able to remember all the ups and downs, how my Dad persevered, his devotion to God, and all our feelings.
So it all began with a trip to the doctor. My Dad went to the doctor for cough that just would not go away and he also had been pretty tired lately. My Dad had always been so healthy and hardly ever had to go to the doctor. She prescribed him some antibiotics and sent him to get some blood work done. Just an hour or so after he got home, she called to tell him that his iron came back really low. The crazy thing is that usually you don't get your results back right away like that and it's usually not the doctor that calls. She was definitely concerned right away. She said he was severely anemic. My Dad's level was 8.3 and men need to be 14 or higher. She asked a few more questions and decided to schedule a colonoscopy for the next Wednesday to check for bleeding.

Men don't usually have trouble with anemia, usually it's women so it was all a little disconcerting for us too, especially since she seemed concerned. I was still going to the doctor for my blood loss and anemia issues as well. I actually got my blood work done that same week and my results were 8.5, but women only need to be 12. It was a little funny to be sharing a similar health problem with my Dad, since we both were anemic. I kept joking with him that we were two peas in pod with our anemia issues!! :)

No comments: